Thursday, November 03, 2005

Heterosexism

Where to start? So much has happened. I need to write a ton of papers before I leave on the RUF (Reformed University Fellowship) retreat tomorrow afternoon. Let's see. . .

Today my FIG (freshman interest group) class went to a special interactive theatre sketch called Heterosexism. It starts off as a group of students (actors) working on a project, when the topic of homosexuality comes up. There's the obnoxious Christian, an African American girl who loses her temper at the said obnoxious Christian, a guy who is accused to being gay all the time but isn't (he's also nominally Christian), a girl who's a Christian but ashamed by their reactions, and a reserved Hindu girl who's lesbian. Anyhow, there's a ten minute skit, after which the audience gets to ask the actors (still in character) about their reactions, and they interact together or alone based on the questions the audience raises. The point was that everybody responds wrongly, so it wasn't just picking on Christians, but I still winced because none of them really seemed to have a true Biblical perspective.
Anyhow, this is were it gets really interesting. There's one student actor "missing" from the group; they start the skit over again and anyone from the audience who wants to try to fix the scenario before it escalates into the shouting match can call out "Stop!" and go down and take the place of the missing student. The audience member then interacts in the same skit, only with a (hopefully) different ending.
So. Understand that I'm with my FIG, two of which are bisexual, and I'm sitting next to one of them. The last thing I want to do is have them hate me, because then I'll never have a chance to reach out to them. Anyhow, first replay starts, and one of my figmates jumps up and goes down to join the club, and just announces that she's bisexual, which shuts all the actors' characters up pretty effectively. Another girl from my FIG goes down and tries a conciliatory approach. (Yes, there are other students in the audience besides just our FIG). I know that they're probably only going to go through this one more time, and I really can't just sit there with not a single decent Christian response but plenty of straw men floating around, so I of course open my big mouth and go down to the stage. (It's not a large stage or anything; it's really small and it's a small audience). Still, I wish I could ever stop my legs from shaking when I get up in front of people. I can't remember everything I said, and I don't really want to, because chances are it was disjointed and very flawed. But I did my best to communicate that Christians can respond in loving ways, affirming that every individual is an imagebearer of the Living God, even while standing firm on their convictions. Mostly I tried to show the "obnoxious christian" how his approach (screaming cuss words and acting hypocritical) is not the correct response.
Anyhow, I did what I could. I just hope that I said the right things. But we don't always know, do we?

5 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Thanks for responding, Katie! There were no comments for so long, and I was like hmmm, did I say something wrong? Actually, I'm sure you could have defended it much better than I did; I was scared to death, but I guess there's just a little too much warrior-maid in my blood.

Anonymous said...

That Warrior Maiden will never steer you wrong :D

Anonymous said...

LA,
Oh my. Now we know once again why you were placed where you are, with the people in your fig even. God knows the place He has you is good. You are in his Hands. And you are Christ to those around you. You are growing in your faith, and in the ability to share it. You are standing for the LORD under difficult circumstances in a social group that regularly disses your kind: knocking knees, notwithstanding, you did well. Perhaps the question we all should ask ourselves: we who are of the faith-persuasion is this: What about us makes those in the world perceive US with such hostility and wrong ideas? Is it a scheme of the evil one, or do some of us truly come across as better than and judgemental to others not like us? We all are sinners in many ways. We are no better--only forgiven. Bravo for saying what is the TRUTH! So proud of YOU!

Lee Anne said...

LOL--Together we could take on anything! You've got the logical side covered, and I'll throw in all my random thoughts. :) Oh, I wish we weren't so spread out now!

Anonymous said...

lee anne, i'm so glad you stood up. you're doing what's right, in an awesome and courageous way.