Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Typical Weekend: Poker, Asia, Tornados, and Wigs

Well, I've had a crazy kind of weekend. Friday I hung out with friends at Mark's place, watching people play Katamari Damacy, reading the prologue of The Hollow Kingdom to my friend Libby while people were playing katamari, and playing poker for money. (No, I am not getting sucked into the gambling underworld. We each put in $2 at the beginning, that's all).

Yesterday I went to an "International Fashion Show" at Jesse auditorium. It was three hours (three hours!) and it turned into more of a dance recital than fashion show. It was fairly fun, but I was really surprised: it was all Asian countries. What, can't European countries have fashion heritage too? Or South American or African for that matter? I hardly consider Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea, and India "worldwide." As one of my friends pointed out, it's probably because those countries are the ones with clubs here at Mizzou. Still! My favorite part was the one little toddler who was supposed to be part of a modeling "family" who ran crying off stage, was led back by his mom, who then left; of course, he started promptly crying again.

Today, as usual, I prepared to help out with my kindergarten sunday school class. But our reader's theater leader came running up, and asked me if I could play a part because they really really needed someone. Of course I was willing to oblige. ;) So, at the last second I was transformed into the evil "Self," minion of the Dark Prince. I got to throw flaming (okay, foam) darts at Christian, and wear a horrendous back wig. Oh, not to mention having a bunch of lines AND getting stabbed and running out of the room dying. What better part is there? I'm afraid I'm going to get typecast as the evil villain soon.

This afternoon I was awoken from my nap by my roommate tapping me, as the tornado sirens were going off. They herded all of us into our laundry room/basement. It was quite a tight squeeze. Actually, they had to put people in the first and second floor bathrooms, too. We were kept down there for quite a while. I almost finished my book and didn't have anything to read, either (horrors!). Such fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how fun. :)