Monday, March 20, 2006

Kindergarten Fan Girls. Oh boy.

As I've hopefully mentioned before, this semester our Sunday school theme is Little Pilgrim's Progress (it has a readers' theater setup like Narnia last semester). This past Sunday, one of our activities was splitting the kids into groups and having them dictate a letter of encouragement to someone who helps out at the church. After giving some suggestions, the four little girls in my group decided to write their letter/poster to the guy who plays Christian in our reader's theater. (On a side note, he played Edmund last semester, and try as I will that is how I will always think of him). The letter was your basic "Thank you for helping with the plays. You are a good friend" etc. I then turned it over to the girls to sign their name and decorate.

This is when it gets a little crazy. The again, anytime you have four little giggling kindergarten girls coloring on the same piece of paper, things are kind of bound to get crazy. They wrote "love" before their names, and obviously thought they were being scandalous. One even started to write "kiss", but she got as far as the "K" before I raised by eyebrows and the girl next to her turned it into a heart. Things continued in this vein for a minute or so: they drew hearts figures "kissing" (remember: this are kindergarten stick figures, so it's not as horrible as it sounds). I was mostly amused, I mean *really* the guy who plays Christian is a really cool dad, and for all their attempt to be bold it just looked like a cute little kid's thank you note. I had just told them to finish up, and started counting to five, when one of the girls wrote "you are hot." Okay, that was beyond enough. I grabbed the paper, wishing I had interfered about ten seconds sooner. They, of course, moved from giggling to rolling around laughing. Oh dear.

But while they had snacks I went ahead and finished writing the "Dear Chad' and the top, and went and gave it to him. I have to admit I was slightly embarrassed; after all, I was the "teacher." He, of course, thought it was really sweet. Then again, I left before he could read all of it. I marched back into the classroom and leaned conspiratorially over the girls' desks. "Hey," I said. "I just gave him the card." Complete and utter shock filled their eyes. Even though I had told them we were really giving people these cards, I don't think they believed me (grin of smug satisfaction). The looks on their faces were priceless. But it gets even better: a minute later Chad comes into the room and says "Hey, thanks for the card." He said it to the class in general (it's not like he knows them by name, and there were 25 kids there), but all four girls turn bright red and start giggling again (this time it was a bit nervous, though). LOL. I was torn between laughter at the whole situation and the shade of red I was pretty sure my face was turning as well. Hopefully they learned a lesson.
(I can just see them in ten years, drooling over Orlando Bloom. Then again, at their precocious rate, maybe that will be next month. What is the world coming to?)

5 comments:

Ed said...

Lee Anne,
I hate to break it to you... in 10 years, Orlando Bloom will be old news and no longer the hottie that he is today. Only those who grew up with crushes will still find him to be the stuff.

Sorry to suck the wind out of your sails.

Lee Anne said...

LOL. Actually, I thought of that, but since it isn't ten years in the future yet, I don't exactly know what name to put; in the interest of brevity (ha! that word coming from me is hilarious) I just put "Orlando Bloom." I was always more of an Aragorn girl personally anyway. I think I've read too many LotR comics though, because when I think "screaming fan girl" Orlando Bloom is what comes to mind.

http://www.barrowdowns.com/images/comiccontest/

Luinewathiel-insanefangirls2.jpg

Okay, to use the link just copy and paste, then delete the empty spaces. (It didn't fit otherwise). Sorry I can't do better; my linking skills (especially with my mac) are nonexistent.

Lee Anne said...

Never mind. The spaces went away. Well, it seems to work. . .

Lee Anne said...

That's true: the one big thing I wish PJ hadn't changed was Faramir's character. I'm rereading LotR right now (it's for class! really) and I like Faramir better than ever. But I remember crying over Aragorn the book character, which I don't recall ever doing for Faramir. After all, I'm like Eowyn: I'll always adore Aragorn, but I'd probably end up happier with Faramir. Well, I can hope anyway.

Anonymous said...

LA,
I had heard you tell this story in person, so when I read it, I could hear your very fast voice telling it again. I had to chuckle quite a few times. It is amazing what hanging around kids can teach you,eh?