Sunday, January 29, 2006

Rocheport, MO

Yesterday I woke up, did four loads of laundry, and dueled with a washer (I lost). I also ran out of meal tickets, so I decided rather than trudge somewhere to get meals (or just pay the dining hall) I would eat snacks for lunch and dinner. But when my friend Libby called at 1 o'clock and invited me to go out to lunch with some other friends, I figured it was meant to be. So I walked through the rain (without my umbrella) to her dorm, then to another girl's car and off we went. It was a very nice (albeit a bit cramped with four people) sportscar. We headed to Rocheport, a town about 20 minutes away, Pop. 208 (Plus 1!), as the sign announced.
As we turned down the small streets, Libby was ecstatic "Look! Isn't that fence amazing? This is such a wonderful place!" While the rest of us looked around and saw many, many antique stores but no restaurants. Anyhow, after some "I think it's around here somewhere's" (you can't get too lost in Rocheport), we found the little restaurant. The menu was so small it was just written on a whiteboard, and as the rest of us looked suspiciously at the weird combinations of pasta or crabcakes with sauces we were unfamiliar with (hey, I'm a picky eater), the other girl peppered Libby with questions, while the lone guy in our group pondered "What's shit-take?" (that is, Shittake mushrooms). In the end I ended up ordering two desserts, carrot cake and apple pie, which was probably the oddest order the lady had ever received. But she laughed. While we waited for our food, we colored on the paper tablecloth with crayons, Libby drawing a crazy picture of the guy (he's in the Navy) on a very funny looking boat, while he responded by adding Libby in among the aliens he had already drawn. I just doodled some girls, who Libby declared to be the characters from Little Women, and we spent a few minutes trying to remember their names, discussing the movie, and agreeing that we needed to read the book again.
Afterwards we walked to one of the Antique stores, where I bought something (but it wasn't for me). The store has very cute little bags and purple tissue paper. Then we all piled back in the car and returned to Mizzou. Ummm. . .the end. So this story doesn't have a climax. Live with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lee Anne, your siblings will be performing this weekend in MSND.... do you think you will be gracing us with your presence? :)

Lee Anne said...

Duh! Do you think I'd miss it?