Friday, January 20, 2006

From The Chronicles of the Princess, Semester Two: Week One

Well, my day started off just lovely: after my second class I sliced my thumb on the bathroom door. As slices go, it's not the bad-enough-to-need-stitches-kind, but it is certainly the wow-that's-a-lot-of-blood-is-it-ever-going-to-stop?-variety. It would be my left thumb, too (go ahead and smirk, right-handers :P). It's rainy and cold here today, and my long journalism class was, of course, on the other side of campus. And I spilled pizza on my shirt at lunch. But enough tales of woe and sorrow: it is the weekend! Let us make merry and rejoice!

My classes this semester run the gauntlet from predictable to horrible to wonderful. My Theology of JRR Tolkien class (the only redeeming class on my schedule) is taught by an amazing professor. He's retired, and doesn't even get paid to teach, but that's never seems to have stopped him. This year the university offered him any class he wanted, so he made this one up. For the first class, he read us a portion of the Ainulindalë (the Middle Earth creation story) while playing some of Hayden's "Creation." For fun he travels the world trying to see every species of penguin in the wild (he just got back from one of these frozen trips). The other class he teaches is called "Music and Mathematics." As I said, he's awesome.
The not-so-great class is my Honors science course. The main professor (the lectures will be taught by a variety of professors, most of whom seem really nice) is rather intimidating; she seems fair but very stony. Her comment on the first day that she hates to let students out early didn't reassure us any, either. Apparently a lot of the class will be geology, and at the end will be a group project, part of which is identifying age, etc, of a spot near campus. So after class, I went up and asked what if one did not believe in millions of years. We ended up arguing (umm, "discussing") evolution for the next half hour. To be fair, she doesn't say that science equals atheism, but believes that ethics and especially metaphysics should not be mixed up with science. Anyhow, she thinks that evolution is the most viable theory, and that every other argument has vital flaws from a scientific perspective. Of course I don't know enough to really contradict her. So now I'm doing extra research to try and defend my position. As if I didn't already have enough to do.
My Econ T.A. is from Georgia--not the state, the country. His accept is really interesting. So far I've had teachers from China, Puerto Rico, and now Georgia. Exciting.

The other day I found out that itunes had added the rest of Loreena McKennitt's albums! I was so happy; I downloaded 2 of them and have listened to her rendition of Alfred Noyes' poem "The Highwayman" almost constantly since them. Sigh of contentment . . .I love story-poems set to music. One last note: Mr. Eubanks has started a really cool blog called "Writers Read," it's a great place to get book reviews (and I'm not just saying that cuz I'm part of it!) The address is www.writersread.blogspot.com
And I'm horrible with adding links, so there isn't one. Sorry.

1 comment:

Lee Anne said...

I thought about calling it "Chronicles of the Freaked-Out College Student" but it just didn't have the same ring to it.