Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Drama, Drama, LOST (to be chanted in the style of Duck, Duck, Goose)

Well, I'm back at college after Spring break, and I don't really know where to start. Maybe I should explain why my alarm didn't go off this morning, or why I missed my classes, or why I have four science group projects in as many weeks (not to mention two more lab reports), or why I have empty Dr. Pepper cans in my room or why. . . Or maybe I should start at the beginning. [Imagine swirly computer screens, or the whoosh! you hear in a LOST back-story. . . enough! You get the picture.]

It all started one pleasant spring day when my mother said to me,
"Lee Anne, how do you feel about giving Clara your room and sharing a room with Julia?"
Now, this did not elicit the response you might have expected; that is, screaming and sobbing as loudly as possible. Actually, I found the idea intriguing. The again, I'm an idealist and I find most ideas intriguing. Until I realize their practical implications. In any case, I consented, and decided the next step would be to convince Clara that this was all her own idea. So I promptly went to work (oh, reverse psychology is a beautiful thing!). It really didn't take much at all to convince her; after all, before I even left for college she came to me and, very seriously, told me that when I left she'd get my room and would probably take all my Aragorn posters down. Oh, the ingratitude! We set the date of the move for Spring Break.

Back to the present. Hurley comes running through the jungle. “Dude! An army of tree frogs are attacking Sawyer!” Oh wait. Wrong reality (though that wouldn’t be any weirder than anything else on LOST. . .) [Okay, you hear the whoosh! thing again. . .]

Spring break arrived, and we sat down to make our plans. One of our first actions (after Clara dumping all my stuff in the hall) was to go pick out wallpaper borders. My mom graciously drove us to an outlet, but I worried that she had ulterior motives. (Last time it took us six months to get her out of the wallpaper store. I had good reason to be scared). Thankfully, things went fairly smoothly, and we even got cherry slushies on the way home. Julia and I had picked out some awesome fantasy prints which we decided to structure the room around. (If you want to see the artist’s site, it’s http://www.dreamflierstudios.com) My dad suggested putting up a line of shelves for books all the way across the wall.

At this point Julia, Clara and I decided that we were smart enough to put up the wallpaper border in my (new) room by ourselves. Ha! Actually, it went pretty well, if you count loosing an exacto knife, knocking over a lamp, and falling through a folding chair as the minor events that they were. Not to mention decoding the directions, matching ends, finding out the exacto knife wouldn’t cut (before it got lost), dealing with corners (we didn’t cut the corners in a literal sense, though we probably did figuratively. . .), etc. Quite the experience. Still, I think we were done in less than 2 hours. For all of our fine workmanship, I think I’ve found another profession to cut off of my list.

Whew! Enough of the drama (though I can assure that their was plenty more that week). Julia and I now have a very awesome room with very amazing fantasy prints and a super long bookshelf, while Clara has wasted no time with her new room in turning it pink. Bound to happen, I suppose.

Now, I’m back at college, and not so happy to be here. After all, I should be at home playing Conquest of the Empire and beating out my family for control of the Roman world. And you ask me to study microbial evolution? Fat chance. Maybe I’ll just put on another LOST episode. . .

1 comment:

Lee Anne said...

Don't talk to me about projects! I have four HUGE group projects due in science alone within the next four weeks, not to mention two more lab reports. :P And that's just for one class. Oh, I am sooo ready for summer (but not the heat!)