Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Somebody Get Ready To Do CPR. . .

I'm too tired of typing right now to write much, so I'll just give an update of my science lab yesterday. I thought of doing a serious reflection of my life right now, then I figured that I couldn't make this blog serious if I tried. If you want a series book review, though, go to www.writersread.blogspot.com (shameless self-promotion). It's a cool blog Mr. Eubanks started, and I'm one of the (many) contributors. But back to my story:
So I finished my first science lab report (barely) in time to start my next one. We were measuring magnetic fields in appliances, and since we had to do it somewhere other than the lab, I volunteered my room. Thankfully I knew about this ahead of time, otherwise I cringe to think what might have appeared when we were moving the refrigerator and microwave. One of the teachers (i.e. our TA) was going to come by and check to make sure we were doing okay. So imagine my surprise when our professor walks into my room! Now, this is the same professor who I found myself arguing about evolution with on the first day (will I never learn?). The same professor of who, I convinced myself, has absolutely nothing in common with myself. The professor who scares me; the professor who makes me believe that our brains operate in completely different universes. So, she sits down on my rug (and I utter another prayer of thankfulness that I had time to vacuum), and asks us about our experiment. Then looking at the poster on the wall right by the door, says "So who here likes Firefly?" If my jaw did not drop open literally, then it certainly did mentally. I tried to gather the facts in my head (1. It's a poster for "Serenity", which means that she actually knows that "Serenity" and "Firefly" are connected. 2. Wait: she knows what Firefly is?) and I managed to come up the completely inane comment "You know Firefly?" "Yes," she replies. "I love that show."
I can just see God chuckling up in heaven as he teaches me that I have a lot in common with even the most different people. All my assumptions crumble away, and I admit that I am not so isolated from the rest of humanity as I sometimes think (well, who else do you know who memorizes 15 pages of poetry for fun?). That, and there's at least one other Firefly fan still out there. ;)

2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Yes, that first sentence did turn out to be a bit ironic. This lab didn't seem as bad, but then again I haven't started writing it up yet.

Anonymous said...

whoa! talk about crazyness...