Thursday, September 15, 2005

Softball and Humility

I heard so much about how you can "make yourself into whoever you want" at college, to "try new things" and "expand your horizons," and similar pieces of advice. Well, after arriving I figured out very quickly that I was not going to be part of the cool/popular/partying crowd (really, I'm so much happier just reading in my room) and that I needed to do something different so that I wouldn't turn into a hermit. So, when at RUF they announced that they were putting together some sports teams, including a girl's softball team, I decided to go out on a limb and join. Now, that phrase "go out on a limb" really ought to be more specific, saying how sturdy the limb should be and warning about twigs that look like limbs. But I digress. When I told my family that I had joined a softball team, their reactions were complete and utter shock. You think that that would have warned me, but I like nothing better than proving people wrong. That's me: The-Freshman-Who-Can-Take-On-The-World. Hah!
Perhaps you, like my family, know that I have never played a day of organized sports in my life. Heck, make that a day of ANY sport. Are you getting the picture here?
I went home, convinced my parents to buy me a glove, and practiced for ten minutes with my dad. I get back to school only to find out that our "team" only has four players, and that it will probably be cancelled. I was a bit disappointed, but fairly philosophical about it. Fast forward to this past Monday. I roll out of bed, check my e-mail--and freak out. Basically the e-mail says "We have a game today at 4:30." AAAAAAAAAAH! I was kind of hoping for a few practices, some training, NOT getting shoved cold into the world of softball (Why me, God? Yes, I know I asked for it. . .)
Do I have to say how the game went? Can't you imagine it enough already from what I've told you? Well, if I must sum it up, let me just say that I was catcher but could not throw the ball all the way to the pitcher's mound. It usually got 2/3 of the way, and then bounced the rest of the way, and usually several feet to one side. Did I mention that we had fourteen referees standing around because thee other games were cancelled? Yup, it was torture pure and simple for me; we're taking a humble pie throwing contest. I mean, I know it's good for me to be humbled, but that's getting awfully close to humiliation (oh wait, we passed that turn off along time ago). Anyway, it's Thursday now, and my muscles are still aching and reminding me of my folly. Just think: next Monday I get to go through it all over again. Joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol! you really are courageous lee anne. :) did you know that blake is playing football?!