Monday, September 11, 2006

Illusions

Well, my obsession of the past two weeks has been the movie The Illusionist, about which all I can say is GO SEE IT and don't read any reviews of it first. Trust me on this one. :) On a similar note, I've been thinking about some of the illusions I've had that have been shattered already this year.

Illusion #1: Dining hall food may not be great, but at least it's edible
Reality: One of my friends found a bug in her noodles. Ugh! So much for "decent."

Illusion #2: It's the beginning of the 4th week of class, and there hasn't been a fire alarm drill. Maybe I missed it!
Reality: The siren will go off two minutes after you get back Sunday night.

Illusion #3: Doing your work ahead of time pays off
Reality: You'll go to find that paper you wrote two weeks ago, only to open the document and find only the title and first sentence. Because you wrote it two weeks ago, you can't even look it up "recent documents" for any other drafts. You also returned the textbook and the bookstore is closed. Panicking, you'll email your T.A., and then find the search bar on your computer, bringing up the real document, which somehow ended up with a journalism name for a history paper. Seriously. Working ahead isn't worth the drama.

Illusion #4: It's a good idea to clean out your refrigerator.
Reality: My mom cleaned out the refrigerator this past Thursday, and Lukas and I were completely shocked by a) the shininess b) the cleanness and c) the emptiness. "Wait! There's no FOOD!" we wailed. But the real lesson was still to come. My parents, Lukas, and I were all in the dining room playing Princes of Florence, when Clara waltzes in proclaiming, "Guess what? I climbed in the refrigerator and closed the door!" We stared openmouthed for a second, alternating between shock, worry, fear, and hilarity. "How'd you get in?" "And how in the world did you get out?" "Wait, you fit in there?" "Oh great, now I've got to sanitize the whole thing." Aaargh. The joy of little sisters. Honestly, that girl scares me to death. My mom and I agreed that we'd count it as a success if we manage to just keep Clara alive. So, beware: don't clean out your refrigerator.

No comments: