Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Rain and Beleriand

Today it was raining all morning. Not just drizzling, but really raining. The cobbles and sidewalks of Mizzou are obviously not prepared to deal with a downpour of this magnitude (I know, I know: it's Missouri; they should be used to it) and turned everything into a lake-marshland-pond-area. All the pollen stuff that they trees have been dropping make very convincing algae, too. I had carefully wrapped my backpack in my raincoat before slinging it onto my back, so the priceless artifacts inside (read: LotR dvds to return to a friend) were safe. But even with these precautionary measures, and my small but cheery brighton pink umbrella, my shoes, socks, and bottom half of my capris were soaked by Econ class. So I trudged around all day in wet socks. Just what a person recovering from an ear/sinus infection needs.

On a more happy note, on thursday my Tolkien class is putting on an impromptu play from a script that a local highschool student wrote-- based on the Tolkien story Of Beren and Luthien (or the Lay of Leithien, or whatever name you want to call it). Apparently he is quite thrilled that college students will be performing his play, even if it is just in class and without any run-throughs. I am totally excited (even if I'm just playing the queen and have 3 lines) and I'm already thinking ahead to a yearly Tolkien Extravaganza in which we make it into a real play. Actually, I'm already planning for a movie deal, if you're interested. ;) I'm very excited to met this guy; finally a captive audience for me to recite the hour of Beren and Luthien stuff that I have memorized (evil grin). On another happy note, I won the little campus dining writing contest, and I now have a $300 gift card for next year. Sweetarts here I come!

So, yeah, things are wrapping up fairly nicely around here. Except for that dreaded Word-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! Do you need his permission to use the play in the future? Sounds like a blast!
MAK

Lee Anne said...

Of course I'm planning on having him help me in the Many Future Endeavors. The play is HIS after all, but I am older and have connections (you have to say that airily). LOL, I'm just spouting off some of my crazy thoughts that won't turn into anything (remember the redwall play?)