Monday, April 19, 2010

Zombies, Skeletons, and Cholera, Oh My!

(Caution: not for the very squeamish.)

It's been one of those weeks.  The Unconsecrated are roaming infecting people, forensic anthropologists are solving gruesome murders, and another epidemic is killing tens of thousands by ghastly dehydration.  No, I'm not watching the news or bringing you a breaking story of the zombie apocalypse, I'm just sharing my reading and television watching for the week.  This week, for two of my library science classes, I have been reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, and The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson.  On top of this I have been watching Bones, which my friend Libby recommended, and I am really enjoying (if I can say that without sounding creepy).  So my week has gone something like this: 
"I look death in the eye.
Her fingers are all broken; some have bone pushing through the flesh.  Her arms are ragged yet she flings herself at me with a passion that will not end until her body is too spent to stand and still she will crawl onward."
Okay, horrible, especially since once being bitten by an Unconsecrated (read: zombie) there is no chance at all of not becoming one yourself.  So to lighten things up, I switched a non-fiction account of the cholera epidemic in London in 1854,
"The cholera toxin ultimately disrupts one of the small intestine's primary metabolic roles, which is to maintain the body's overall water balance. . . .the cholera toxin tricks the cells into expelling water at a prodigious rate, so much so that in extreme cases people have been known to lose up to thirty percent of body weight in a matter of hours."
Dying by dehyrdation while all the water is sucked out of your body but you are still lucid, and your heart tries to pump think blood with no water through your body, is pretty high up on the list of ways you don't want to die.  And though I'm not especially squeamish about description, hearing about the "rice-water" fluid that gushes from the victim while trying to eat my oatmeal was a bit much even for me.
Unfortunately, part of my reading through the Bible plan has me in Leviticus.
"If the offering is a burnt offering from the flock, . . .he is to offer a male without defect.  He is to slaughter it at the north side of the altar before the Lord, and Aaron's sons the priests shall sprinkle its blood against the altar on all sides.  He is to cut it into pieces. . ."
Ick.  So not helping.     

So I decided to watch something on Nexflix online.  I couldn't find anyhing that sounded right, but then I decided to start the first season of Bones, and got hooked.  The first episodes weren't too gruesome, but right as I texted my brother saying I liked the show, a particular corpse situation was just too creepy.  Not not helping! 

So right now I am feeling very surround by death, dying, and the undead.  Thankfully right now the sun is out, I know that if I get cholera by some bizarre circumstance, I can survive it by rushing to the hospital and being rehydrated (which is good, because I can't look at drinking water the same way right now.)  About dying there's not much I can do except trust God, and as for my Z-day plans. . .well, hmmm, maybe better just hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. And that I find some lighter books to read!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A LITTLE TOO GRAPHIC FOR ME. Put a warning: Don't read right after eating.

Lee Anne said...

I thought about it, but then I thought, hey, if I have to suffer. . . :)

Okay, so mostly I'm commenting because I hate when it announces "1 Comments." That drives me crazy.