Monday, May 19, 2008

3rd Annual End of the (School)Year Awards

(Aka "A Quick Catchup of the Last Few Months")

Most Misadventurous Hour: Believe it or not, there were some close runners-up, but this story pretty much takes the cake (or cookies, as it were).
Back in February, I woke up at around five a.m., and, debating on whether or not to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, I saw that the hall light was on, and thought I heard something. So I got up, and opened the door to find my roommate quietly but miserably crying. She was curled up on the bed in lots and lots of (physical) pain, so I sat with her, trying to be comforting. It was snowing outside, and Lukas was away for the weekend with the car. She's in pain relatively regularly, and it wasn't something that usually needs the doctor, but it was especially bad that night, so we were debating whether or not to take her to the emergency room. Well, I was sitting there on the edge of her bed, trying so earnestly to think her into feeling better, or sort of psychicly funnel some of her pain away, when I started feeling bad. Okay, I told myself, you're just being over-dramatic because you can't stand having the attention focused on someone else. But I kept felling a little weird. "Hang on" I told her. "I'm just going to go to the bathroom for a second. . ."
Well, the next thing she hears is a huge crash, and she drags herself into the bathroom (literally; she can’t even stand up straight) to find me unconscious on the bathroom floor, between the toilet and the tub. On my way down I must have grabbed the shower curtain, because it came down on top of me, and on its way down sheared the knob off the tub’s water supply completely off, and water is pouring out. (I should also mention that our shower doesn’t drain very well, and the shower curtain was blocking the drain, so that it was filing up). Poor, poor Sarah!
I came to after maybe 20-30 seconds, feeling really groggy, with Sarah hovering frantically over me. “I’m alright,” I kept repeating, which is always what I seem to say after passing out, and which is never really true. She helped me stumble back to my bed, and told me to lie down, as she rushed back to try to get the water to stop gushing out. She couldn’t even find the knob in the folds of shower curtain, and (understandably) started freaking out. “I’ll get it,” I mumble, starting up again. By God’s grace I didn’t pass out again, and I was able to somehow grab the knob and shove it back on. The water stopped, and we both collapsed in our tiny hallway, sobbing and laughing hysterically and desperately. We joked about calling the maintenance guy (with whom we already have a history of crazy repairs) and him finding us on the floor, in too much pain to get up, and him quipping something about needing an ambulance. So we prayed, and I grabbed a pack of frozen thin mints out of the fridge, which we went a long way towards finishing, and went back to bed.
The next afternoon Sarah was feeling marginally better, and Libby kindly took me to a weekend health clinic (student health care is closed on the weekend, which is always when I get sick), which had moved since the last time I went there, which turned into its own misadventure. As it turns out, I had a sinus infection (I seem to get that or bronchitis every semester). Later that week, our friendly neighborhood maintenance man came over to fix the shower, and he was shocked by what had happened to the knob, and even more so by the fact that we were able to get the water stopped again. Sarah told him the story, and he was really kind and concerned, but laughingly told her to tell me “to stay away from the bathroom” (see January’s entry).
So, people, if you have any stories to top that (I have no doubt that Kaelen can) send them my way! But that is certainly one of my most crazy moments, even with my general klutziness taken into account. (And why is it I always pass out in the most unglamorous situations? Why can’t a fold into a faint delicately like some Regency woman?)

Favorite New Book Series: The Honor Harrington Novels by David Weber

Best Parts of Having an Apartment: my own bedroom, space to have friends over, decorating, and getting to hang out with Sarah!

Worst Parts of Having an Apartment: construction, construction, construction, practical jokes about ball python in water supply, very short shower head, wildlife [ants, possums, raccoons, lizards, feral cats, etc.].

Favorite Class: Ancient World in Film with Barnes and Rautman: amazing, amazing amazing! (Plus fun getting to hang out with Marcus and Sam)

Most Stretching Experiences: Drawing class (really, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to get through, but rewarding too), visit to the City Museum--I'm afraid of heights and apparently claustrophobic. Nuff said.

No comments: